We will not bore you this week with our uumms and öööös. Just 60 minutes of pure mix of that paprika relish.
- Karim Ziad – Aît Oumrar
- Fanga – Crache La Doleur
- Omar Suleyman – Crystaline
- Anthony joseph & the Spasm Band – Griot
- Amanditita – La Muy Muy
- Joyce – Para Balar
- Hot 8 Brass Band – Get Up
- Souljazz Orchestra – Kapital
- Errante y Bohemio – Laba Soseh
- Doris Monteiro – Eu Quero, Eu Quero
- Ebo Taylor – Mizin
- Depois de carnival- Azymuth
Honest Jon’s Records knows it’s ethno. And has done for a long time. The British independent record label was created by musician Damond Albarn and various record shop owners. But Honest Jon’s also owns a record shop in London and that one was founded way before the label. In 1974, by two friends from Liverpool, a Sociology student named Jon Clare, and Dave Ryner, the son of a Trinidadian doctor. Match made sound providers.
Honest Jon’s is funk, soul, folk and music from Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. It is calypso, soca, Nigerian afrobeat and salsa. Lot’s of it from way back then, but also new stuff from Candi Stanton, Lobi Traore and Tony Allen. This week Ajvar’s into afro and backbeat. So we played the coolest, weirdest and funkiest tunes from their archive treasure. Like Boogaloo-jazz from Congo, golden age African pop and South African electronic Shangaan. Mr Nozinja, who calls himself a scout for Shangaan talent knows the recipe.
We don’t use the sounds of the hip-hop guys, or the afro-pop, or whatever, we’re using Shangaan sounds. The traditional Shangaan music is fast. You play it slow, they won’t dance.
- Abdel Hadi Halo & The El Gusto Orchestra Of Algiers – Fatoum
- Orchestre OK Jazz – A Moins Que Namikosa
- Tshetsha Boys – Uya Kwihi Ka Rose
- Solomon Ilori & His Afro-Drum Ensemble – Tolani
- Zinja Hlungwani – Ntombi Ya Mugaz
- Ebenezer Obey – Eyi Yato
- Ajda Pekkan – Viens Dans Ma Vie
- John Holt – Mr. Mischief
- Lionel Barrett – Rasta Cowboy
- Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson – Tom Kirisite
- Susan Cadogan – Ghetto Cowboy
- Tommy McCook & The Skatalites – Lambs Bread Herb
- Foster Manganyi – Vanhu Va Lova
- Los Destellos – Pasión Oriental
Its time for another Spotify playlist from Ajvar. This time we collected some groovy stuff from all over the world.
If you are not able to listen to Spotify then you will need to saddle with this clip:
Ajvar welcome back one of our favourit guests Nathan aka Nasty Nate who has a story for every song played. Kind of like a historylesson but oh so much more elevating. The theme today was “World Music”, why this is an impossible term and how this music influenced the tunes we dance to in clubs today.
Wanna listen to this show and others? check our Facebook group right away.
- Sao Paulo Underground – Afrihouse
- Transglobal Underground – Pomengrante
- Bob Azzam – Mustafa
- Salah Ragab – Egypt Strut
- Burundi Black – Burundi Black
- Hugh Masakela – Dont go loose it baby
- Disciples – Addis Ababa
- Toni Tornado – Podes Crer, Amizade
- Airto – Andei
- Lucio Battisti – Gli Uomini Celest
- Antonio Carlos & Jocafi – Kabaluere
- Son Palenque – Palengue Palengue
This one-hour show became one and a half. Our guest Faruk brought his African-brazilian- djungle-funky-tunes and with no government stopping us we decides to play on. Some polish jazz by Wojciech Karolak, a little bit of non-footballer Ze Roberto’s Lotus 72D and a massive piece of Rico Rodriguez 1977 to die for Lumumba. Best of tonight was Open Fornarinas song Fala Tanto i from label Lovemonk. A sweet n’ funky tune, and a record-cover that comes with a smashing recipie of Salmorejo de el pez gordo (Thick cold tomato soup). Yum, Ajvarstyle.
6 tomatoes, about 800 gr pretty red ones!
2 small garlic cloves
150 gr thick breadcrumb
Extra virgin olive oil
1 green pepper
- Nahid Akhtar – Dilbar Bilbra
- Curumin – Caixa Prieta
- S. Hazarasingh . Aa Jane Jaan
- Sonido Del Principe
- Blood Dracula – Speeding
- Congas – Africanism
- Segun Okeji – I Like Woman
- Rudebway Fokus – Gypsy Dub
- Masakela – Mama
- Wojciech Karolak – Why Not Samba
- Dusko Goykovich – Quo Vadis Samba
- Raoul Zequiera – Quiereme Mucho
- Ze Roberto – Lotus 72D
- Jungle music
- Rico Rodriguez – Lumumba
- Dubben – Cuba Cabana Strand
- Open Fornarina – Fala Tanto
- Bama And The Family – Feel Good
- Pekka Streng – Puutarhassa