Episode 28: The 2015 Caribbean kick off
The eleventh Ajvar year is game on. And we’re kicking it off in style the Sugar Bum Bum way. Loads of sweet old Calypso and soca wibe from all over the Caribbean with everyone ever named Lord. All the way from Trinidad, Tobago, Haiti, Panama to Jamaica, Martinique, West Indies and so on.
Soul Jazz Records 90 Degrees of Shade: Hot Jump-Up Island Sounds From The Caribbean is the showstopper. A kick ass collection of independence, righteous and hot jump-up sounds from the 1950’s and 60’s when endless new musical styles exploded and travelled across the world. And since we love steel drums a little bit more then all the other drums, we could play The Calypso Steel-O-Rama Bands mind blowing Java all night long.
- Orlando Julius – Love Thy Neighbour
- Papi Brandao Y Sus Ejecutivos – Viva Panama
- Lord Nelson – Disco Daddy
- Mighty Arrow – Socka-Rocka
- The Calypso Steel-O-Rama Band – Java
- Mungo Mtoto – Gettho Children
- Lord Kitchener – Love In The Semetary
- Lord Kitchener – Sugar Bum Bum
- Superblue – Soca
- Ibo Combo – Mateau
- David Martial – Tamba
- Lord Cobra And Pana-Afro Sounds – Rocombey
- Edmundo Ros – London Is The Place For Me
- Hemsley Morris – Stay Loose
- Walter Ferguson – Computer
This spring we’re stepping our love and devotion for Radio Skanstull and will do it clubwise once a month. So next week, the 13th of February, we’re transferring our broadcast into a dance floor. Be there at 9 pm with your sneakers on.
When Boogie Gustav gets bored he usually wants to come and visit Ajvar. And the abstinent usually kicks in after a trip to a country far far away.
Boogie Gustav is back.
This time however it was the lack of trips and a record clear-out that brought him back to the studio. With forgotten classics from Tim Maia, Jorge Ben and Gal Costa but also newer smooth tunes from The Echocentrics, and some sweet 80’s from Sandra Sá and Sergihnho Meriti. And the funky Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax. Fans of 70’s U.S. Soul & Funk, with a samba-twist, are right at home.
In true Ajvar-style we decided to dedicate the other part to something completely different – our favorite pics from the Soul Jazz Records. The British label that started in the 90’s and has been releasing compilation albums of world wild black music. That includes the group Tamba Trio’s Tempo, a fantastic album with a blend of bossa nova-jazz and an crazy experimentalism. And Elis Regina’s Samba, Eu Canto Assim! A classic Brazil-star with a voice to die for. Belize is represented by a bunch of black Carib singers, drummers and musicians on the Garifuna: Ancestral Travellers Of The Caribbean. Making punta rock ftw. And there’s also People of Palenque – Afro Colombia release. The region of Palenque on the Colombian Caribbean coast has its own unique music-style, very influenced by its African heritage.
These tunes are heavy on percussion, very rhythmic with smooth vocals like those on the 70’s Fania All-stars records. But our favorite part of this release is the house, reggaeton, dubstep and electro remixes. The producers selected a number of like-minded electronic, house and dubstep artists to produce the mindblowing second disc that includes Osunlade, Mattias Aguayo and Kromestar. Bam!
- Dani Cudra – Gira la Cabeza
- Aurelio Martinez – Laru Beya
- Tampa Trio – Garota De Ipanema
- Elis Regina – Sou Sem Paz
- Cossa Nostra – Suite Latino (yo quiero contigo)
- Tim Maia – Padre Cícero
- Gal Costa – Divino, Maria Vilhoso
- Wando – Nega De Obaluaẽ
- The Echocentrics – Crescent Sun
- Tim Maia – Geisa
- Juca Chaves – Jeova Jeova
- Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax – Santa Inqisicão
- Djavan – Serrado
- Glória A Deus No Céu – Amanhã É Outro Dia
- Jorge Ben – Oba Lá Vem Ela
- Tim Maia – I Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
- Sandra Sá – Guarde Minha Voz
- Sergihnho Meriti – Tipo Help
- The Echocentrics ft. Tita Lima – O Elefante
- Zeca Do Trombone & Roberto Sax – Tá Legal
- Sergihnho Meriti – Neguuinho Poeta
- Jhalib – Mysteries Of The East’
- Los Pirañas – Lambada De Oceanía, África y América (eran un mismo continente)
- Morykante – La Guineenne
- Baby Chan – The Return
- Ya Toshiba IS DJ Zuzu & Mesak – Mad barber (Baba Zula Remix)
- Alejandro Paz – Callejero
- Alejandro Durán – Cumbia Costeña
- Gilla and the Wageira Le Drummers – Dan Me Tiabin
- Les Super Borgou De Parakou – Gandigui
- C.K Mann – Do Me Ma Mondo Wo Bi
- Esin Engin Ve Orkestrasi – Mor Koyun
- Curramberos De Gambero – La Preñá (Osunlade’s Yoruba Soul)